Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another One for the Virtual Scrapbook


After having a few rough days with the kids (3 days to be exact) I experienced a little ray of joy brought by Zach. To really appreciate what happened we have to go back a few days. On Monday the children had been taken to their room so I could get a few minutes of peace. It seemed quiet, but I figured whatever was going on was worth the quiet. HA! A few minutes later both children presented themselves each carrying half of their curtain rod. (Now luckily this would be a $2.50 curtain rod from Walmart.) Zach had wisely given the bent piece to his sister. And of course I'm no fool.

Fast forward a few hours. Zach was really upset to go to bed with no curtain over his window. I informed him that he will have to buy a new one to replace the one he broke. We're still learning this lesson. During the night I got out an extra curtain rod (yes, I have extras) and quietly put the curtain back up. This was a completely selfish act since I didn't want the kids to wake up with the sun. Zach asked me about it in the morning. I told him I had an extra and I would let him borrow it until he buys a new one.

So here's the cool part: tonight after we read books and were getting ready to go to bed Zach sat on the couch pondering the four pennies he had in his hands.
He said "here Mom, I'm paying." I thought he said praying. He informed me by saying "pay, pay, paying" (this is how we help him to pronounce words correctly, so he thought maybe I needed help?).
I asked what he was paying for.
"The thing I broke" he replied.
My mind raced as I tried to figure out what he had broken. "What did you brake?"
"The thing that hangs."
I was worried he had broken something I didn't know about yet. "What thing that hangs?"
"The thing for my curtain. And Mom, I'm really, really sorry I broke it. I wouldn't do it again."
I dropped everything and went to him so he could pay me. Feeling it unnecessary to point out that four pennies will not cover the cost I hugged him and said thank you. He asked if it would be ok to keep borrowing my extra curtain rod until we get a new one at the store and if he might be able to help me put it up.

What a nice boy!

No comments: