Thursday, December 18, 2008

Babysitters are Great

A few weeks ago we had our usual babysitter over to watch the kids for a few hours. Usually she doesn't get to actually see the kids since the go to bed by 6. (If you know me you know I'm not kidding here!) Anyway, this time Zach was still up. So we just told Zach to go to bed when he felt tired. (If you know me you know this is a statement that doesn't usually come out of my mouth...ever.) But we figured we shouldn't stress out a 12 year old with trying to wrestle him to bed if he would rather play Lego's with her. So, when we got back all was well and both kids were sleeping.
When I drove our babysitter home I said, "I hope Zach didn't give you any trouble, I tried to get him to bed but it just didn't work out" (Adults would understand this to mean, well, what it means. To her it meant something different.)
She said, "next time you should try reading him some books. He got tired really fast when I did that."
I smiled and said "Thanks, I'll try that!"

I'm glad she has discovered this little secret so early in life!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

That's too funny!! She at that age, you know. She said something about him not wanting to go to bed when she came home. She was so pleased with herself when she told him she'd read to him and it worked. She said she knew it would because we always read to her at night, too, and it made her able to sleep. We read to her at bedtime until she was in the 4th grade. Ahhh, so much to learn but they think they know so much, eh?