Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can Someone Please Tell Me if This is Normal?

Things that come out of Becky's mouth on a daily basis:

"I don't want those socks!"
I go to put them back,
"I do, I do!"

"Not those shoes!"
I go to put them back,
"I do want those shoes!"

"I don't want that cup!"
pause
"I do, I do!"

"I want the pink teddy bear in my bed."
bring the bear
"I don't want the pink teddy bear in my bed!"

You get the picture. I'm spending a lot of time pretending to put things away these days. What is the deal! Is this normal?

4 comments:

Olivia said...

unfortunately, yes, very normal for that age. She's just experimenting with her "powers" of opinion and choices and seeing how much control she can have. A* did this SO much. Sometimes still does, but not nearly as much as she used to. Also, I think girls do it more than boys---I don't ever remember J* doing it that much. He was just more decisive and knew exactly what he wanted but he had to have it a certain way, you know? It's a phase that I remember lasting quite a while. Sigh...

Heidi said...

Very normal- Emma used to do it all the time. I guess she is growing out of it a little. It happened more when she is tired and cranky I found. I am sorry- it is so frustrating! Sometimes I would say, "Final answer?" Sometimes I would not give in when she changed her mind and give her the first thing she asked for. Good luck!

Kerri said...

Rachel did it, too. I only put up with it for a short time, then didn't let her change her mind anymore. I'm mean, though.

ZAC said...

Totally normal! Now's the time to enforce tough love. If she changes her mind, make her get what she wants on her own. N* always wants us to get her baby doll at bedtime and we let her know that she better find it and have it ready for bed because we're not going to go looking for it. Save yourself some sanity while teaching responsibility and rest assured, it's completely normal!